Monday, June 14, 2010

My Dad

I wrote about my Mama the week before Mother's Day so I thought I would write about my Dad this week before Father's Day.


This picture is me with my Dad and his sister, my Aunt Ruby, when I was about 4 years old. The picture tells quite a lot about my Dad, he always wore a long sleeve shirt, he always wore a hat when he was outside, he smoked which is one of the reasons why he died so young. He was 50 years old when I was born and I was 18, two weeks out of high school when he died.

He was born in Iowa the 7th of 9 children and had to leave school after the 6th grade to work on the family farm. Even though he did not have a formal education he was an accomplished man. He was a farmer until the farm was lost in a bad draught year. He then worked as a manager at trailer parks to support his family. He was the hardest working man I have ever known. I never knew anyone who did not like him.

He was a quiet man with a dry sense of humor and a sparkle in his eye and a great love for his family. I adored him and was very blessed to have him as my Dad.

2 comments:

grammy said...

great picture and memories (o:
almost everyone smoked in that era...especially men
they were such hard workers too
that probably took a few years off their life too
thanks for sharing

Tonja said...

What a blessing to be able to say only good things about your dad. So many people smoked back then...it's a shame. I'm happy for you that your memories of him uphold the highest standards! You are blessed!